With the introduction of Senate Bill 1069 (SB-1069), California residents and homeowners can now go for conversion services. Yes! Now it is possible to remodel or convert your garage from a mere parking space into a fully furnished functional space of your choice. But things are not as easy as they seem, and you have to go through an exhaustive process of permits and verification before embarking on a garage conversion project in California. If you fail to comply with the regulations, it can result in the complete demolition of your newly constructed space as it violates the law of the California State.
Here are a few key points that will help you start your garage conversion project in California.
Check Your Eligibility
Every neighborhood is divided into different zones, and you have to check whether your neighborhood or locality lies in the zones that are permitted to conduct garage conversion. There are many free online tools that can help you know if your property is a feasible spot and is permitted by the State to conduct garage conversion. If you want accurate information, use the Zone Information and Map Access System (ZIMAS) website and input your address and pin code to learn about your eligibility.
- A house should be located on the land deemed acceptable for ADU by the zoning authority.
- Any type of ADU can be added if the size is less than or equal to the area of the property, which makes garage conversion possible.
- There is only one ADU per lot, therefore even if space exists for a garage conversion as well as the detached or attached ADU then is only one ADU is permitted for construction.
- The homeowner cannot sell ADU as an independent living space but can rent it. It isn’t necessary for the homeowner to reside on the land in which the ADU is located. They have the option of renting the home as well as the ADU or both simultaneously.
- Apart from these eligibility rules, there are also parking rules and miscellaneous rules imposed by the zoning authorities. You have to make sure that your proposed ADU does not lie in proximity to a public transport system.
Obtaining the Permit
The local Department of Building and Safety will guide you through the permit obtaining process, and the required paperwork for application submission. Try to be patient, as the permit process can be a little exasperating.
If you think that obtaining necessary permits is not your cup of tea, or you are busy and do not have the time to visit the Department of Building and Safety during work hours, a reliable home remodeling contractor can do it for you. They can guide you to easily obtain the approval for beginning garage conversion at your residence and also direct you to the right departments and save your valuable time. Once you get the approval, then the construction of your dream garage conversion project can begin.